Monday, October 5, 2020

The Starting Point

 


    Built in 1873 the Academy Building was designed by A.J. Warner, one of the most prolific architects for the entire western NY area, this site was rich in the cultural and economic history of this city. Standing four stories tall as a beautiful example of High-Victorian Gothic architecture. A style full of pointed arches, ornamental columns, heavy dental molding and plenty of what would later be nick named cast iron widow makers, The ornamental railing along the peaks of the roof. The name is a literal description of why we see so little of it today. It was the first High-School for the city, later a Municipal Court and int the 20's as the seat of the Board of Education. It saw some renovations in the 80's but later abandoned.

   I can remember the first time I saw it when I moved here in 2009. I could see whole sections of the high peaked roof missing giving me a clear view of the attic space. At the time I hoped someone would see the potential and fix it up. Now after much work it sits here with a new lease on life as a mixed use building. A resplendent gem worth saving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Virtual Walkabout

A City Full of History

      Welcome to the Rochester Virtual Walkabout. From here I will walk you in a big loop from Fitzhugh to Main St, up to East Ave., back to...